The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
February 11, 2010 § Leave a comment
I went into The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus knowing I’d love it, and so I did. My thoughts:
1. In order to fully comprehend this movie, you need to know that Heath Ledger died midway through filming. I would recommend reading Roger Ebert’s review to prepare yourself for the revolving door of actors.
2. It’s a colorful fantasy film that is kind of along the lines of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Fall, two of my favorite movies.
3. Heath Ledger AND Johnny Depp?? HELLO? [And Jude Law & Colin Farrell if you’re into that kind of stuff.] We all know that Depp looks great with eyeliner, but did you also know that it’s not bad on Farrell, totally wrong on Law and almost unnoticeable on Ledger [probably because we’re used to seeing his Joker face]? Yet, the film does not focus solely on that character; it goes deeper than I expected.
4. My friend Joe didn’t like it because he thought too hard about everything. Just let go of logic and enjoy the journey. That way, everything is also hilarious instead of confusing.
5. Lily Cole plays her role memorably — much respect to the former model.
6. It was Heath Ledger’s very last film. He will never make another after this one. Enough said. [Can you tell he was my favorite actor?]